Friday, April 24, 2015

Nepali Style Fried Rice--with an American Twist



Here in Nepal when a meal is served the Nepali people eat a lot of rice. They eat a lot of rice and a tiny bit of veggies with it. But my family likes to do the opposite. Lots of veggies and just a little bit of rice. So if a Nepali person were making this dish, the veggies would be less than half of what I am about to show you. But this is how we like it!

This is how Chicken Fried Rice is made here. This fed our family--2 adults and 3 kiddos.


Here is the finished product! Looks yummy doesn't it? 
All fresh ingredients, what could be better than that?

One of the neatest things about this dish is you can use whatever veggies you have on hand. As much or as little as you like, so play around with it. This next list is just what I did this time--but every time the veggie amount changes to basically, whatever I feel like! :)

Ingredients
3-4 small potatoes
8 green beans
3 okra
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
oil (I have sunflower oil, and I used about 3 Tbsp.)
3 small tomatoes 
3 leaves of cabbage
2 eggs
tumeric
salt or your favorite all purpose seasoning

The rice I used for this I actually made earlier that day and then we changed our plans completely, so it had been in the fridge for a few hours before using it. You can use leftover rice or make a new batch all together. 

So if you are starting from scratch go ahead and start cooking your rice the way you normally do. If it's just leftovers don't do anything to it.


I have found that the easiest way to do this meal is to do all of the prep before you start cooking. If you don't it cooks too fast and it's hard to keep up. So go ahead and chop up everything.


Tomatoes


cabbage and okra


potatoes

Go ahead and beat your eggs together and set it aside.


Start with a little oil, when it gets hot cook the onion. After a minute of onion cooking throw in the garlic. When you start to smell the garlic cooking throw in your potatoes and green beans.

The idea with the veggies is to throw them in at the appropriate time. Potatoes take the longest, then green beans about the same amount of time. okra and cabbage not long at all. So as you are cooking space the veggies apart by how long they take to cook. Hopefully that is clear as mud!


Once this was starting to cook I remember I was supposed to be cooking chicken. So I started that.


It surprisingly worked out perfectly. I had already cut up the chicken into bit size pieces so it would cook quicker, and I think that helped.

Okra, cabbage, tomatoes, and scrambled eggs all take about the same amount of time to cook, which isn't much. So when the potatoes and green beans were almost finished I threw in the other things.


I stirred it around until the eggs seemed done. I also added the tomatoes at this time, but forgot to take a picture. Sprinkle either salt or your favorite all purpose seasoning on the veggies. I like Everglades Seasoning!


Add some turmeric and your chicken, which should be cooked by now.

Now clear a small section in middle to add the rice. I add a little at a time, stir, add some more, stir. It mixes together easier that way and ensures you don't overflow anything.



Keep stirring. If it seems dry add a little more oil or water if you'd prefer, you just don't want it to burn. When it seems heated thoroughly and mixed well it is finished. All of the white rice should have turned yellow because of the turmeric.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment