Thursday, April 30, 2015

The next morning--earthquake post 3

The next morning we all woke up early. I think we all felt the same way--we survived the night and are so glad to be alive.

My stomach bug that was put on hold because of the earthquake came back strong that morning. I've experienced some firsts through all of this. I not only had to use a squatty potty for the first time, but also had to have a stomach bug and frequent trips--I have to say you get good at it quick. Again, I just want to say how thankful I am that I had an earthquake kit and that I stocked it well with toilet paper!

Image result for squatty potty kathmandu

This is not the exact one we used, but was just like this except really dark and the room was tiny--no room for error. If only you could have smelled it! blah!

The guys found some eggs and cooked us a good breakfast over a fire they made.











The tremors started to die down a little during the day time. That was nice. The kids started to play a little. 
Luke went out to check on things around, some of our people's houses and to look for some of our friends to see how everyone was. Everyone made it back to our "camp" about 12:30pm and we sat down for lunch. Just a few minutes later the second earthquake hit. It was a 6.5 I think on the Richter scale. We ran out into the open. It was then that we noticed the covered soccer field next to us swaying drastically. We knew then we needed to use extreme caution even during the tremors and move out from under our bamboo shelter every time something came. 

It was after this second earthquake that Jason started to be overwhelmed with fear. It is so hard seeing your kids scared. I just held him and let him cry. 

4 comments:

  1. thanks for letting me journey with you and your family, Jamie... Was your trip to Orlando ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for letting me journey with you and your family, Jamie... Was your trip to Orlando ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only the first photo printed on this page. So glad you all are okay. Looking forward to seeing you on the 23rd if Tom's mom is out of the hospital.

    ReplyDelete