Saturday, October 31, 2015

10 Things I Wish You Knew About Nepal



Every day I wake up in the middle of Nepal and there are things I wish everyone back home knew about this place. It's hard to even experience it all when you come and visit for just a few days.


I absolutely love this place. I feel like I have a purpose. Each day I have something special to do and be. I am here and love that I have a mission, something beyond waking up, eating, cleaning, playing with the kids, eating, cleaning, family time, eating, and sleeping! I get to be part of something bigger and it really fulfills me as the person God has created me to be!

So Nepal--

1. I love the food. We eat dhal bhat at least 6 days a week for lunch. I love it. It is rice, lentil soup, and vegetables. It doesn't get old. It is delicious, and I happily eat it every day and look forward to it. We took a week off and had a "staycation". I told the kids if they helped me around the house so I wouldn't have so much work to do I wouldn't make any dhal bhat for a whole week. They were ecstatic about that and gladly helped every day, but I missed the dhal bhat! It makes me hungry just thinking about it.


2. I love how friendly everyone is. Some people get annoyed by people constantly looking at you and staring. But I personally love striking up conversations with people and talking about the surroundings and getting to practice the language I am learning. People absolutely love it when you take time to talk with them. I love seeing the people smile as they watch us and hear us talk to our children. It is just nice to be around people that enjoy being around you, even if it is just to laugh at the crazy American.


3. I love being close enough to everything to walk everywhere. We are in the midst of a huge gas shortage and most of our friends have no petrol for their vehicles and are forced to walk everywhere or be stranded, but we are used to it. I can walk 5 minutes and buy everything I need for day-to-day needs. I love walking too because it helps me get to know even more people and get a chance to talk with them.

4. I love how everyone loves my husband. My husband is naturally goofy. He says goofy things just to make people laugh. I love how he walks down the road and can easily joke with the taxi drivers about taking us across town for $1 and they agree to it, already knowing that he is joking. It makes me feel safe that the people around us like us and know us.


5. I love how cheap fresh vegetables are here. We can buy a pound of tomatoes for 25 cents, sometimes even less. We can buy pretty much every vegetable that we were used to eating in the States here for a fraction of the price. Potatoes 30 cents a pound, broccoli mid-season 50 cents a pound, onions 30 cents a pound, and the list goes on. We eat roughly 15 pounds of fresh veggies every single week. It makes me feel good to be able to fix healthy things for my family!

6. Rice cookers! How did I ever live without one? During this gas shortage I have been learning new ways to conserve gas as much as possible. I have learned that our rice cooker can be used just like a pot on the stove. I have learned how to cook basically everything in it. Tonight I made shepherd's pie for dinner and I did it all in the rice cooker! It takes a little forethought to make sure you have enough electricity (today our's turns off at 6pm), and you have to plan it out just like cooking on the stove with only one pot, but everything is doable and totally takes off the stress for 
when we do run out of gas!


7. I don't like coffee, but my husband wants everyone to know that we have the most amazing coffee in the whole world located here in Nepal. 

8. Riding in a vehicle can be crazy at times. In America you only take as many people as you have seats for. Here you stuff as many people in as possible. Especially nowadays with only  a few vehicles on the road. We road in a vehicle that normally seats 12. We crammed 19 people in there and adults sitting on each other's laps. And the funny thing is no one here cares much about personal space. If there is an inch of room they gladly scoot over so that other people can ride as well.


9. Here in Nepal a guy can get a haircut and a massage for about $2. My husband loves going to get his haircut and enjoys the back/head massage the barber gives. They even massage your eyelids! Now that is a little weird!

10. I love that even though we are in a 3rd world country, we can still get some good American food here once in a while. We have a good Woodfire Pizza Cafe, a place to get a beef burger, and a KFC that has good soft serve ice cream. It sure does help to have something taste like America every now and then. 



This is part of a Baptist Missionary Woman's Blog Hop. Around the world other missionary ladies have also written "10 Things I Wish You Knew About..." Please click here to continue reading!!



19 comments:

  1. Loved this, Jamie! Such a great perspective of Nepal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your experiences in Nepal. It is great that you love to walk about the community and that you enjoy engaging in conversation as you go about your activities. It is a wonderful way to make connections. I marvel at how foreigners and missionaries such as yourself adapt to the power outages in places like Nepal and countries in Africa. I admire that flexibility. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining in the blog hop! I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very interesting! Loved this glimpse into your lives. The head massage sounds perfect . . . and the coffee, and the cheap veggies. Isn't it wonderful to live where the people are friendly? I love it. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It made me cry to know that you are happy and love it there. Sure takes some worry off my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and Dad wants you to mail him some more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading this. Your attitude about being where God has you was a breath of fresh air. I love ladies who are content where God wants them. I also used to walk with our baby girl (who is now about to turn 18) all down our street and buy all I needed for dinner or the week. Then carry it all back to our apartment. I too love walking because it makes you "reachable" to the nationals. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and yeah, feel free to send coffee to Siberia! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've really loved learning more about Nepal in this blog hop! Your post was great! We have a car now, but I can remember the days of walking everywhere, although small village life doesn't compare to the people and traffic you face every day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I very much enjoyed learning about Nepal! Thank you--

    ReplyDelete
  11. You joyful spirit is infectious! I can feel it coming through your blog post. Such a great post. I could relate to a few things. Stuffing vehicles full of people was one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jamie! We were your "neighbors" for the mission's conference at our home church, Winkler Road Baptist Church! It's great to find your blog and catch up with you!! Glad to hear you all are doing so great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading this and enjoy your other posts as well. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your field of Nepal! So much interesting information. Thank you for answering God's call.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So neat reading this! Some of the things you mentioned sound similar to here, but I'd have to say the best coffee is here in Honduras! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jaime, enjoyed reading your blog so much. You and Luke are so inspirational to me , to go through all that you have been through over there and still keep going with a smile. Your ability to go out and meet people and learn about their culture is definitely where God wants you. Your soup sounds wonderful!
    Thank you so much for you and Luke helping Maple Grove this summer with our VBS. Can't wait to hear your stories when you get back home! My prayers are with you always and may God continue to Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jaime, enjoyed reading your blog so much. You and Luke are so inspirational to me , to go through all that you have been through over there and still keep going with a smile. Your ability to go out and meet people and learn about their culture is definitely where God wants you. Your soup sounds wonderful!
    Thank you so much for you and Luke helping Maple Grove this summer with our VBS. Can't wait to hear your stories when you get back home! My prayers are with you always and may God continue to Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Greatly enjoyed reading this! I am so excited that my husband and I will get to visit Nepal in the end of March and beginning of April! I hope to get to meet you in person finally! :)

    Katie McKelroy - Greater Waco Baptist Church - Waco, TX

    ReplyDelete